Valentine’s Day is tomorrow and single or taken, there are a million reasons why so many of us dread this day. Oh, the expectations! For five years straight I used to get blubbering drunk on Valentine’s day dates because this day freaked me out so much. Oh the poor boy! Then there were years where myself and a few friends would wallow in our singleton sadness. And don’t forget about all the guys ! A good many of them absolutely hate this day with a vengeance. How many of you have heard “I don’t need a day to tell you how much I love you”!
This Valentine’s Day we want to celebrate self-love! Whether you’re in a relationship or you’re single we all should be practising more self-love. Why? Well because you’re worth is determined by you! Nobody else, and by practising self-love you will start to feel more self-worth, more self-respect, and have more faith in yourself!
I absolutely love this quote by Lucille Ball. “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.”
Right, let’s fall in love! #SelfLove
- Become mindful. People who have more self-love tend to know what they think, feel and want. They are mindful of who they are and act on this knowledge, rather than on what others want for them. Self-love means you love yourself, it doesn’t mean you demand the love of others.
- Declare your love. Write down everything you love about yourself. Then write down what you think your flaws are. In order to truly love yourself you must embrace everything ! You need to own it! There is only one of you and that is so beautiful. As Gaga says ” Be relentlessly you!”
- Self-care. Maintain activities that make you feel good. For me putting on make-up always makes me feel cuter and happier. I also love having a weekly face mask. This always makes me feel good. Make an effort with yourself. Whether it be getting your nails done, dressing up, going to the gym, cooking healthy meals, going out with friends or getting more sleep.
- Do not compare yourself to others! It is impossible to be that person, so why do you compare yourself? Even if you went out and completely mimicked that person’s lifestyle, clothes, looks etc you’re still not going to be that person. The comparison is a waste of time. Feel empowered in who you are, remember you are enough! If you forget look back at your self-love letters to yourself!
- Be kind to yourself. Think about all the nasty things you reel off to yourself on a daily basis. Even without realising it you probably say some really nasty things. Now imagine that voice was an actual person and your friend, you would not want to keep that friendship. Yet we do. So stop saying bad things about yourself even if it seems little.
- Learn to take compliments. There is no need to excuse them. When someone says that’s a nice jumper, even if it’s your grandma’s or has last night’s dinner stains on it or whatever. Just say thank you, and take it.
Start doing a few of these steps little by little and you will learn to be infatuated with yourself. Next year you’ll want take yourself out on your own date! 🙂
We want to see some wildly gorgeous selfies! Our Valentine’s Day gift to you will be some beautiful natural and organic makeup by Green People, which I am wearing in the photos in this blog! Take a selfie and tag us @leeloyblog and #SelfLove for a chance to win!